Invited to a party?

Have you been invited to a party or get-together:

  • through friends,
  • either online or in person,
  • or by someone that you don’t know well?

Is the party:

  • in a location that you’re not familiar with or,
  • at someone’s house that you don’t know that well?
  • have you been offered a lift?
  • have you been told that there will be free alcohol and perhaps drugs available?

Ask yourself;

“Why have I been invited? 

“Why is someone offering to give me something for free?

“What might I have to do in return?”


If it feels wrong - go with your gut feeling - Don’t go!


Going could result in you finding yourself in a position where you feel uncomfortable and possibly pressured to do things that you don’t want to do.


If you do go, there are things that you can do to keep yourself safe:


If you start to feel uncomfortable at a party or get-together, think of ways to stay safe:

  • Stay close to people you trust
  • If you are drinking alcohol – Stop!
  • If you are offered drugs - don’t accept!
  • Avoid going into a room alone with someone
  • Pretend you’re feeling ill and arrange to leave
  • Lock yourself in a room such as the bathroom or go outside, and phone or text a trusted adult asking them to come and pick you up.

If you or someone else is afraid call the police!

If you have been a victim of an offence, such as sexual assault or rape, it’s not your fault and although it can be difficult, talk about what has happened to you with an adult you trust. If you do not feel able to talk to an adult you know, there are organisations you can contact who won’t blame or judge you:

Childline: 0800 1111

Police: Call 999 if the crime is in progress or you feel you are in immediate danger. Call 101 in a non-emergency or if the crime has already happened.

Crimestoppers: 0800 555111

Support after Rape: 0808 802 3344
Opening hours:
Mondays 6pm to 8pm
Tuesdays 8pm to 11pm
Wednesdays 6pm to 8pm
Thursdays 8pm to 11pm
Fridays 6pm to 8pm
Sundays 2pm to 5pm

If an adult is concerned about your safety they may need to inform the Police or Children’s Social Care.