If you suspect that a child or young person is being, or is at risk of being significantly harmed as a result of abuse or neglect, you must report this immediately.
Practitioners working with children, young people and families (paid or un-paid) should:
- Discuss your concerns in the first instance with your Safeguarding Lead or line manager if you are unsure if they are suffering significant harm
- Inform the parents and / or gain their consent for you to make this contact unless doing so would put the child at risk
- Gather initial information using the Contact Form as guidance
- During office hours (9.00am – 5.00pm) call the Duty & Advice Team on 0113 376 0336 (option 2)
- Out of office hours (evenings, weekends and bank holidays) call the Children’s Emergency Duty Team (EDT) on 0113 5350600
- If you believe a child is in immediate danger and at risk of harm call the police on 999
If the child or young person is not at risk of being significantly harmed practitioners should consider an Early Help response
Members of the public should call Children’s Social Work Services during office hours (9.00am – 5.00pm) on 0113 2224403.
If you think a child is immediate danger call the police on 999 out of office hours (evenings, weekends and bank holidays).