Reporting a concern for the public

If you are a member of the public and suspect that a child or young person is being, or is at risk of being significantly harmed as a result of abuse or neglect, you must report this immediately by calling Children’s Social Work Services during office hours (9.00am – 5.00pm) on 0113 2224403.

If you think a child is immediate danger call the police on 999 out of office hours (evenings, weekends and bank holidays).

What will happen when I make a contact?

All child protection contacts are taken very seriously and your concerns will be properly considered by a qualified Social Worker.

You may be contacted for further information as part of the initial enquiries. In most cases there will be a discussion with the parents and the child as appropriate.

Sometimes it becomes clear at a very early stage that concerns are not founded.

If initial enquiries do reveal significant concerns about the child or young person’s welfare, then the formal child protection enquiry procedures will begin immediately.

Will I have to give my name?

If you are a member of the public and you feel very strongly that you cannot give your name, you need not do so – your concerns for a child or young person will still be considered.  Your name and address will be kept confidential if you request it.

Will I be kept informed of progress?

Because of the highly confidential nature of this work, you will not be given detailed information about the outcome of an enquiry. However, you may be contacted for further information.

Quick leave